Japanese director Obayashi Nobuhiko, who died in April last year, is probably one of the most difficult audiovisual auteurs to categorise. From experimental films to TV commercials and mainstream features, he has left behind a large number of works with diverse themes in different fields. He is well known for his imaginative visual imageries, while the locations in which his films take place often become “pilgrimage sites” for film buffs.
Presented by the Consulate-General of Japan in Hong Kong and The Japan Foundation, co-presented by the Hong Kong Arts Centre, supported by Japan Autumn Festival in Hong Kong - Rediscovering Nippon, Treasure Box of Love and Death: Obayashi Nobuhiko Film Showcase commemorates this magical film artist, screening nine selected features by Obayashi from the collection of the Japan Foundation, including four rarely seen works from the 1980s, from which audiences can observe various motifs found in Obayashi’s films: home, playfulness, pacifism and the tragedy of love.
6/11 (Sat) 2:30pm Emotion + The Ruined City
6/11 (Sat) 7:30pm The Strange Couple
7/11 (Sun) 2pm House
7/11 (Sun) 4pm Four Sisters
7/11 (Sun) 7:30pm The Young and Wild*
9/11 (Tue) 7:30pm Seven Weeks
10/11 (Wed) 7:30pm Hanagatami
21/11 (Sun) 2pm Labyrinth of Cinema
21/11 (Sun) 5:35pm Talk: A Conversation with Obayashi Chigumi
*With after-screening talk. Conducted in Cantonese.
Emotion + The Ruined City
“I've returned your heart, yet I've lost my own.”
Japan | 1967 | 40’ | In Japanese with English subtitles | 16mm | Colour
“I’m nothing at all.”
Japan | 1983 | 105’ | In Japanese with English subtitles | 16mm | Colour
- Ninth place (Top 10 Japanese Films of All Time), Kinema Junpo 1984
“Let’s live on with patience although our dream is broken.”
- Nominated for Best Director and Best Art Direction, Japan Academy Film Prize 1989
"The bright sunlight frightens me."
Japan | 1977 | 88’ | In Japanese with English subtitles | 16mm | Colour
“We’re closer than blood ties. We’re the true sisters.”
Japan | 1985 | 100’ | In Japanese with English subtitles | 16mm | Colour
- Nominated for Best Supporting Actress, Japan Academy Film Prize 1987
Japan | 1986 | 135’ | In Japanese with English subtitles | 16mm | Colour
- Sponichi Grand Prize New Talent Award, Mainichi Film Awards 1987
- Best Rediscoveries, Boston Society of Film Critics Awards 2015
“Maybe a person’s karma lives on in future generations.”
Japan | 2014 | 171’ | In Japanese with English subtitles | DCP | Colour
- Fourth place (Top 10 Japanese Films of All Time), Kinema Junpo 2014
- Special Award, Japanese Professional Movie Awards 2014
“I’d like to live.”
Japan | 2017 | 168’ | In Japanese with English subtitles | DCP | Colour
- First runner-up (Top 10 Japanese Films of All Time) and Best Director, Kinema Junpo 2017
- Best Film, Mainichi Film Awards 2017
Obayashi Nobuhiko’s daughter, Obayashi Chigumi, will attend a virtual talk to chat about Director Obayashi’s film journey and its stories with the audience.
“Peace to the world!”
Japan | 2019 | 179’ | In Japanese with English subtitles | DCP | Colour
- Special Mention: AQCC-Camera Lucida Prize Fantasia Film Festival 2020
- Winner: Best Director Kinema Junpo Awards 2021
- Special Achievement Award, Tokyo International Film Festival 2019
Ticket Price: $85/ $68*
*20% off discount for full-time students, senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and the minder and Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) recipients. Tickets for CSSA recipients available on a first-come-first-served basis.
*20% off for HKAC Individual members & HKAC BEE. Discount is only available at the URBTIX Sales Counters, members must present a valid membership card upon purchase.
*20% off for each purchase of 4 or more standard tickets.
Each purchase of standard tickets of all 8 screenings at discounted price: $476 per package
20% off for each purchase of standard tickets of "Talk with Obayashi Chigumi; moderated by Maggie Lee" and any 1 or more screenings
Internet booking: www.urbtix.hk
Credit card telephone booking: 2111 5999
Mobile ticketing app: My URBTIX (Android & iPhone versions)
Ticketing enquiries: 3761 6661 (10:00-20:00 Daily)
Programme enquiries: 2582 0248
While it is the HKAC’s policy to secure the best possible screening versions of our presented films, the HKAC appreciates our patrons’ understanding of the occasional less than perfect screening versions. Thank you for your kind consideration.
Presented by: Consulate-General of Japan in Hong Kong and The Japan Foundation
Co-presented by: Hong Kong Arts Centre
Supported by: Japan Autumn Festival in Hong Kong - Rediscovering Nippon
- All audience must wear face masks
- No smoking, eating and drinking. Unauthorised photo-taking, audio and/or video recording is strictly forbidden
- Cinema staff have the right to deny the admission of any person with temperature higher than 37.5°C